Re: Jazz tone

There's a story about the workmen at the Taylor (I believe) factory who took a pallet and made a guitar out of it.  Apparently it sounded just fine.  :)

I think the type of wood in a solid body is going to contribute to the sustain more than to the tone, but I don't really know.

Tony

On 9/6/07, Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:

> I take it that you are really meaning "fancy talk" about wood?  Because
> different wood definitely give different tone to a guitar, as  true for
> solid bodies as for jazz boxes.

For hollow bodies, by experience definitely confirms this. But I haven't
been able to tell much different in solid bodies. This is from
direct experience. I've played many solid body guitars, and I've been
able to get almost the exact tone out of all of them, just based on amp
and pickup choice. I know there are a lot of guys who take this sort
of thing to the finatical extreme and claim that wood is everything in a
solid
body guitar, but that has never rung true for me. I'm not convinved
that a species of wood is going to intervene that much between what
happens between the pickup and strings, and between the amp pre-amp
and speaker. Maybe someone else can tell a difference, but to me the
difference are subtle and all over-ridden by pickup and amp choice.
I'm sure that sounds simple minded and un-sophisticated from someone
like me to say, but that's just my experience. Maybe a balsa wood guitar
might sound radically different. :)  I'll even take fiberglass. Give me a
Steinberger...I'll make it sound like I want.

Kris

--
-==-=-=-
Tony