RE: Jazz tone

Swamp ash is nice and light, too. But I generally have to agree with Kris
that (as I interpret it), given a basically decent solid body guitar,
twisting tone controls on the amp and pickup (or changing the pickup) can
usually give me whatever I need.

By contrast, BTW, I have a vintage Guild archtop with floating pickup whose
tone is rather difficult to tame - it tends to be both too trebly on the
high strings and too boomy on the low for my taste. Strangely enough, I get
the best results putting it through an overdrive circuit with lots of
treble
rolled off. (it actually sounds best pretty much unamplified, which says to
me that maybe my issue is with the pickup. Being a vintage guitar, I don't
really want to mod it at all. OTOH, that floating pu looks like it could be
easily replaced and then restored if I want to sell the guitar).