Re: Jazz tone

From: "Per Boysen"
> On 6 sep 2007, at 07.41, Krispen Hartung wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised no on has commented on the sound clip I send
>> out with my best shot at a warm jazz guitar tone with just
>> the Boogex VST amp sim.

> Did you check the OT list?  ahhh, very funny.  :)  Good one.

> Well, that was just a joke ;-). I definitely remembered hearing that
> posted audio clip one week ago because it sounds very good. But I
> never looked at the picture of the guitar until today and I think
> it's remarkable that you used a mini guitar for such a full sound! If
> you could move the pickup a bit closer to the neck it would sound
> even better for a fat and warm jazz tone.

Very true. I wish I could move the pickup...I probably could, but I would
have to pay for the modification and repair. Not fun. For the time being,
replacing the stock pickup with the pickup I had in my Gibson ES-335
made a big difference. I notice most of the mini guitars have only bridge
pickups. Such a shame.

> The Swedish guitarist Ulf Wakenius has a fantastic jazz tone with a
> cheap Les Paul copy by Aria ("pro 2" model). Check out the videos at
> his MySpace page! http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?
> fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=153739765

Exellent. Just what I like. There are many fine examples of very warm and
natural jazz tone out of solid body guitars - Ted Greene, Joe Pass (in his
early days), Mike Stearn, John Abercrombie, Lorne Lofsky, etc, etc.
I think if you have a decent pickup and amp, everything else is incidental.
With these two things, I haven't found a solid body guitar yet that I can't
make sound like the above.  Heck, all I need is a stick with strings and
pickup on it. I could care less about the fancy wood, etc.

Kris