Re: Jazz tone

On 6 sep 2007, at 20.40, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> Heck, all I need is a stick with strings and
> pickup on it. I could care less about the fancy wood, etc.
> Kris

I take it that you are really meaning "fancy talk" about wood?
Because different wood definitely give different tone to a guitar, as
true for solid bodies as for jazz boxes. I have some friends that
build guitars as for a living and I have spent many hours hanging at
these workshops, trying out all kind of guitars and getting told
about different wood used in them. Too bad I was never as interested
in wood as in tone, so I don't remember a everything ;-))  Well,
swamp ash sounds good to me in solid bodies, that's a fact I
memorized after finding that all solid bodies I picked out was built
of it. Mahogany sounds good too, I think. Myself I once built a solid
body guitar out of a piece of oak. It was horrible. No life in that
tone, way too much sustain and treble that made it feed back whenever
you played through an amp. It was too heavy as well. Oh well... guess
mistakes are for learning ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)