Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim

Kris,
I am a bit late on this but ill tell you my opinion on
the fw800,i own it since about a year.At first i was
impressed with its sim but compared to my Koch
twintone tube amp it sounds a bit harsh for my
ears,ive used it though for funky compressed rhythm
guitar tracks which works ok.Ive never used it live
though.
Nothing coming out of a guitar through a digital amp
sim has really impressed me soundwise, i remember
seeing Fripp live and he had a Digitech new preamp and
a roland GP100 at the time and his sound was really
cold to my ears,Adrian on the other had had a much
warmer sound!
Luis

--- Sam Nilsson <sam@servingpeace.com> wrote:

> Krispen Hartung wrote:
> > Can anyone comment on the speaker emulation filter
> and tube
> > sim/limiter of the FW800? Someone on the Max/MSP
> list commented that it
> > was one of the best amp sims they've used. See
> below.  Is any other high
> > end firewire audio interface offering ann amp sim?
> >
> > I am now focusing on how I can get the most
> natural electric guitar/tube
> > amp sound on my system, BEFORE going into the
> laptop (so, no tube amp
> > VSTs, etc). I need to do it with the audio
> interface, or by adding a
> > real tube amp or high end tube amp simulator
> (hardware)
>
> Hi Krispen, Group,
>
> It has been some time since I have messed with the
> speaker
> emulator/limiter feature on the instrument input of
> my FW800 but...
>
> When I originally got the unit I played with those
> features with my
> Strat and a few other guitars and found that for my
> tastes it was just
> an add-on/gimmick feature that did not improve the
> sound. It probably
> depends on what sound you are looking for, and it
> would be worth trying
> it yourself, but I don't expect to use that feature
> when going direct
> with my electric guitars. I much preferred the
> instrument input with
> those features turned off.
>
> Someday I would like to find a nice portable preamp
> to drive my
> otherwise clean/direct setup with, but for my
> tastes, those features
> were not in any way a decent substitute. Having said
> that, I am sure
> that someone loves those features and uses them
> everyday. ;-)
>
> Peace,
> - Sam

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who
knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.