Re: Composition & Improvisation- the fatal moment of playback

    There's definitely something about being "too close" to the memory
of having created it.

    When I listen back to older things I've recorded, I can barely
remember being the person who recorded them... I'm curious "how did I
get that sound"? Could I ever reproduce that accident? That mood?

    I wonder if this distance helps with appreciating the music as a
whole rather than micro-managing every detail as though I were still
playing it (in the moment of listening) rather than simply listening!

    I saw an interview some years back with Trent Reznor where he said
that he felt the band had played the show of their career at Woodstock
'94. He felt exhilaration as he left the stage. (paraphrasing) Then he
saw the video of their performance and revised his opinion to say "we
were terrible, we didn't play that well".

    So it seems that the "pros" suffer from the same thing!

TREVOR.