Re: Composition & Improvisation- the fatal moment of playback

At 7:50 AM -0700 9/1/09, tEd ® KiLLiAn wrote:
>On Sep 1, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Warren Sirota wrote:
>
>>I don't figure I'm usually qualified to judge my own work, improvised
>>or not, until I haven't listened to a piece for a year.
>
>I'm with you on that one Warren.
>
>If not a whole year . . . at least a few weeks or months.
>
>It's extremely rare for me to like much of
>anything I've done immediately afterwards.
>
>But I think I'll stop there before my comments
>begin to meander down some psycho-depressive
>rabbit hole.

Oh don't stop on our account.  I'm right there with you both -- 110%!!!

I nearly-pathologically *despise* anything I've
done if I critique it right after finishing it.
But if I walk away for some period of time and
give myself a chance to forget about it
completely, I'll often come back and realize
there's some pretty interesting stuff in there.

That exact thing happened a few nights ago.  I
tripped over a folder filled with a bunch of
half-finished Live files.  I'd only bothered to
save them in the first place because "these suck,
but I've put in so frickin' many hours that I
might as well have something to show for it".
Listening back, I was actually quite fascinated
at some of the arrangements ("wow, how the hell
did i do that?").

Just keep me far away from the "delete" key until then.  ;)

        --m.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path