Re: What's experimental?

Daryl Shawn wrote:
> To do
> something truly unheard before with, say, a guitar, you'd pretty much be
> prohibited from laying fingers on the fingerboard, or even putting
> strings on it for that matter.

Respectfully, I disagree with that.
There's lot's of ways in which a piece of music could be
different to what has gone before, many of them possible
using standard timbres.

1) Rhythm, there's plenty of unexplored concepts there.
2) Melody, doesn't have known boundaries, not understood through any theory
3) Has every technique for changing the sound of a regular note played on
guitar
   been found yet?
4) While it may be true that "every harmony has been tried", by combining
using harmony with
   different timbres, and over different rhythms I'm sure it's possible to
create something unexpected.

..and so on

:-)
..but I agree with the following:-

> But if you approach your instrument with
> the sincere attitude of creating something that you haven't created
> before, and that isn't directly a copy of something you've heard, I
> think that not only are you experimenting, but it will truly be an
> expression of your self, hence unique.

andy butler