Re: What's experimental?

Finally, a discussion today I dare to comment upon!

"Experimental", I think, is simply an attitude one brings to
playing/composing/recording. If the goal is to genuinely try out
something new that you have not done before, I call that experimenting,
hence experimental. As to whether it breaks new ground in the context of
history and one's present peers, well, that'd be a big research project
on its own after every session. And pointless, ultimately. To do
something truly unheard before with, say, a guitar, you'd pretty much be
prohibited from laying fingers on the fingerboard, or even putting
strings on it for that matter. But if you approach your instrument with
the sincere attitude of creating something that you haven't created
before, and that isn't directly a copy of something you've heard, I
think that not only are you experimenting, but it will truly be an
expression of your self, hence unique.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com