Re: New concept for looping control - extremely small and portable!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Buzap Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Per
>
> which Faderfox(es) are you using?

Hi Buz,

I use the two micromodules LV1 and LX1. They are old models that sold
out some two years ago and I still like them better than the new
models. When these two crap out on me I will go for some USB powered
button pad thing that also has analog inputs for simple foot switches
and expression pedals.

> Still, even better would be for me to have:
> - a 3-button MIDI pedal (real buttons, not up/down - ANYTHING OUT THERE?)

I too was thinking about that, but I found it less "relaxed" for me. I
think there is something from Digiteach?

> -button-sets
> This would be a bit more relaxed than just one pedal. (or three of your
>pedals on three channels?)

Well, I really like having just ONE BUTton to kick! I found another
solution for "arming function" that I like better than the hands-on
button pad: a one button Apple USB Mouse! Use black Gaffer Tape to
cover the light hole at the bottom so it won't track cursor movements,
only leaving the Click Function working. The horrendously beautiful
transparent glass bulb with an apple inside that I got with my G5 five
years ago is perfect for this job. You can't go wrong stomping that
thing on the stage floor ;-)  (glad I finally found a use for that
bizarre piece of unusable design - it had been hanging on my wall as
decoration since day one, but now I'll put it to work).

So, in order to make this "floor mouse clicker + track pad mouse
pointer" interface intuitive you have to use a software that lets you
fill the screen with big, bright, colorful, clickable objects. One
object per looping action. I'm now setting up such systems with Mobius
VST looper and MainStage AU host.

--> MainSTage:
Really good looking and easily detectable screen buttons. I'm still
not sure you can set up an "incremental button" though (calling a new
action each time you click it: great for chord change vamps).
MainStage allows you to bind a screen button to an Apple Script and
maybe this can be used to get at an incremental click action? (any
Apple Script aficionados on this list?). Two years ago I studied Kid
Beyond's Mac rig when he was in Sweden and he was able to use Apple
Scripts for a lot of things that isn't possible with Ableton Live, so
I think there might be a way to chain up linear actions that you would
normally have in parallel on big foot boards like the FCB.

--> Mobius:
Screen buttons in Mobuis can be set to call anything, even scripts you
make. This means they can be used for anything! Right now I'm
experimenting with "incremental buttons", meaning the button calls an
"incremental script" and this script activates different functions (or
other scripts) with each new click. It doesn't "rotate" though; I've
posted on that to the Mobius list but no word on the matter yet heard.

I think there is an object in Bidule that also lets you order actions
"by list", but I haven't had time to go into that yet. Besides, taking
looper host application I really want to go with the audio effect
arsenal if MainStage, which is the same set of about fifty awesome
plug-ins I have gotten to learn well by producing recordings with
Logic.

Bottom line: way to go for minimal looping rig excess is INCREMENTAL
ACTION CALLING!!!

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen