Re: New concept for looping control - extremely small and portable!

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:
> are so good the transducer you envisioned?
> is it yet custom build?...

It's just a normal analog switch! The cheap stuff you get as for the
sustain pedal function for a synth, just as an example. I can go into
any music store and pick up a new on for peanuts any day.

> how's toby's vst dealing with those "audio noise
> bumps"?

When "a noise bump" (me kicking the foot switch) arrives into mic
input 2 it goes into the Tobybear VST that translates it into a MIDI
note event. That is how this VST deals with it. It was created by
TobyBear to do exactly that; create MIDI from any audio signal input.

> how quickly can you execute three, four ... mobius functions with
> arming involved before you can launch them all?

I don't do it like that. I arm particular function (pressing button
with finger) and then I execute it by kicking the foot switch. I doing
for example Reverse, Overdub or Substitute, it just depends on how
fast I can tap my toe.

One difference though - and also the only reason I kept the FCB1010
for so long - is when you want to "play moog pedals". On the FCB you
can have all ten buttons targeting different Rate/Speed Shift values
in order to "play" melodies or chord sequences by feet. With my new
one-pedal setup I have to move my right hand to arm the next interval
to be pitched on the next foot tap. That may be a bit limiting if you
want to play really fast chord changes (for that you can use a script
that calls up next "chord" on the next foot tap, so you can tap
unquantized as fast or slow as the music needs. But then you have to
stick with that sequence of pitch intervals. That's no problem with me
though, I will make up a dozen of "pitch change intervals sequence"
pre-fabs to make improvisation smooth.

>  if going with some simplistic
> approach (like yours) or still engaged to the foot controller.

Well, I'm minimizing the physical side of the looping control gear -
but I'm maximizing the functionality of the rig. One important reason
is that I found the FCB too limited, not offering enough buttons for
the looping I want to do. Instead of 100 options in the FCB I can now
use 256 with the Faderfox buttonpad+footswitch. (and duplicating some
commands on the computer keys to use as "shortcut" in busy musical
situations)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen