Re: Tip on a great free reverb plugin (for lappy loopers) PSP Pianoverb

wait- Joe did what? held chords and say wha? Not a piano player here- how do you silently hold a chord yet have those strings un dampened to receive the sound from the sax? You couldn't get the air or the pedal sounds- that track is just facinating and beautiful to me. Oh also the album is from '71 not '72.

http://www.binkie.net/wrdisc/Weather%20Report%201971.html

"I silently held a chord down on the piano and had Wayne play an arpeggio of the same chord," he said, "blowing his saxophone right inside the piano at the soundboard. The tape recorder was started on the echo at the end of the sound, not when he was playing. We played different chords and edited them together. It was definitely not magic; it was an idea I had a longtime ago. I'm going to go back to this eventually. I'm going to lay my piano on its side, put bass drum pedals in different positions on the sides, and use the acoustic piano as a soundboard; it has the greatest sound body of any instrument." Joe Z

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Clifford Novey <cnovey@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of my fav albums of all times uses this- Weather Report's first
> record- self titled from 1972. Wayne played scales on his sax into
> piano strings. Joe was giving him the scales and they edited all the
> sax out but 1 note. Incredible and I didn't know how it was done until
> much later. Joe also is doing something with the pedals you can hear
> it.

I like that album too :-)  So Joe held down the sustained chords
according to the song structure to imply the chord changes in the
piano's sax reverb! Cool. Doing that with modern electronic laptop
tools would be an exciting challenge! I imagine I would like to assign
"reverb chords" to the switches of a MIDI pedalboard to play it. Any
ideas on how to set up a signal routing that would give you this
thing?