RE: Rhythmic Randomness vs. Melodic Randomness

To experience rehearsed rhythmic randomness, listen to any of Captain
Beefheart and the Magic Band's middle period, i.e. Lick My Decals Off Baby,
Trout Mask Replica, or Spotlight Kid.  While these sound random to many
ears, the band rehearsed those grooves and reproduced them live.
Frequently
there is a 4-beat pulse underneath, but not always.

Plus, to my joy, they extrapolated the blues out a long way...

dave

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't understand that question.  Who says he likes
> rhythmic randomness? I doubt any one does. Randomness can never swing.
> NOr groove. I just can't imagine that phenomenon! ;-))

Oh, yes - I can imagine that phenomenon! It occurs when a drunk guy
falls all over a drum kit. THAT is true rhythmic randomness!

per