Re: Rhythmic Randomness vs. Melodic Randomness

For a few years now I've been experimenting with something that
relates to this ( I think so anyway )

I start off with a short rhythmic droney sort of thing on guitar and
loop that, then I do a melodic lead, usually improvised on guitar
that runs several measures long, and lastly I play some composed
piece of music on the hammered dulcimer over top of those two loops.
Now both of the longer leads are in time with the short loop but they
are different lengths and have a different rhythmic sense to them.
What follows is two melodic lines that sometimes run together and
then drift apart harmonically and rhythmically. I suppose this isn't
truely random but it does make for a less predictable sound than the
typical celtic type melodies that you would hear on the dulicmer.

Paul Haslem
Ontario, Canada
www.dulcify.ca