Re: Live Looping Interface

On Jan 19, 2008 12:00 PM, Erdem Helvacioglu <erdemhel@tnn.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i would like to ask you a protools related question.
>
> i would like to buy a macbookpro and install both macosx and windows xp.
> would like to install protools and other sound design softwares like
> metasynth, soundhack, msp to the mac side. and i would like to install
> cubase, soundforge, audiomulch to the pc side. would this work?

The shorter the question the longer answer it demands. ;-))

--> Pro Tools
You need to use an audio interface from Digidesign in order to run Pro
Tools. Stay away from the cheap M-Box USB interfaces and it will work
fine with other software as well.

--> Metasynth
At http://uisoftware.com/PAGES/leopard.html they write "Audio playback
does not work in Leopard. Use the 16-bit version (MetaSynth 4.0), if
you need to run Leopard." The 16-bit version is "MetaSynth" while the
24-bit version is "MetaSynth Pro". I could not find any info in their
web sit, or in my own MS Pro installation documents, regarding
compatibility with Intel processor Apple machines (Universal Binary
version). So you may have to research this a bit more. Why not email
Eric (developer) directly with the question? (and post what you find
here, for us all to learn).

Since it's also in my own interest to find out I can try to move my
MetaSynt Pro 4.0 from the G5 into a MacBook here and see how it works.
Since it's not a looping oriented topic, I can report back privately
in about four hours since I have a student session in moment.

--> SoundHack, Max/MSP
I just heard yesterday that a guy on an Intel Mac recommends SoundHack
to fiddle with file structure etc so I guess it would work fine.
Max/MSP seems to be in a new phase of rapid development now so you
should read up on www.cycling74.com. I remember there were something
that kept me away from investing in it now, maybe because they are not
finished with the AU support, I don't remember and don't have the time
either. But many people use it on modern computers. There's a good Max
forum too at Cycling74.com.

--> cubase, soundforge, audiomulch
Anything that works on a regular PC works on a new Mac booted into
Windows by Apple's BootCamp fix. To get the right mouse button
functionality by clicking with the cntrl button pressed down you
should get the free Apple Mouse Utility:
http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/applemouse.html
I dropped into the Windows Start-up objects folder, which is pretty
convenient.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen