Re: AW: Powered Subs...on to mastering

kris
>> Yup. I am investing in some studio monitors. Probably the
>> Event ALP5 or Mackie HR625 MKII. I need to stop mastering
>> with my headphones, which aren't even studio headphones, but consumer.

(If there wasn't the weak dollar at the moment my advice might have more
point...but)
Personally I'd go for Genelecs, but you'd have to go for something pricey
to get the low range extension. I have the 1032s, which is probably
overkill.

PMC TB2 speakers are pretty flat to 40Hz and are often used in studios
(and sound amazing), I'm pretty sure they do an active version.
I've no idea how much that would cost in US though.

If you've got lower frequencies than 40Hz then there's not really a
practical way to master for them outside a purpose built mastering studio,
you'll just have to use a spectrogram to make sure those frequencies are
quiet enough not to be overbearing if someone actually has a system that
can reproduce them.

Either of those options is a serious step up from Event or Mackie, ...
you'd notice the difference.

andy butler