Re: AW: Powered Subs...on to mastering

Since we're talking mixing and mastering, here's a follow-up
regarding reference monitoring:

When you guys are checking out your mixes on other systems (we're
talking car stereos, home stereos, boomboxes, etc.), do you normally
test with that system's tone controls set flat, or turned to the
typical user's settings?

I recently ended up with one mix that sounded pretty good when I
checked it on a stereo with the typical "smile curve" EQ.  I got
similar results in the car with the same treble and bass tweaking I
normally do during everyday driving.

Yet in both cases, when I switched the EQ to flat, the whole mix went
amazingly lifeless.  Without the normal twerks, it became overall
kind of 'meh...'.

As an experiment, I tried the opposite -- mixing for a flat reference
system -- which then resulted in the exact opposite: a mix that
sounded okay with no EQ, but was obscenely overhyped with only the
slightest user customization.

In the end, I mixed for what I figured the end-user would most likely
be listening to, but I've not really encountered a situation where it
made such a marked difference.  Has anybody else run into a similar
issue in the past?

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of