Re: Laptop live looping-vst&sync

On Jan 7, 2008 11:45 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I hear from the VST developers mailing list that.
> 1) Bidule was the only host that allowed vst plugs to freely sync with
>each other.( don't know if it's
>    true, but I guess they meant Cubase/Ableton etc don't support it.

I'm no hardcore programmer, but I have had a very good experience with
syncing VST plug-ins in Bidule. That is on both OS X and Windows XP.
Bidule works the same on both systems, but I think it's even more
powerful when run on a Mac because it then also supports AU plug-ins.
I actually almost abandoned VST's on Mac - until Logelloop was
released, which unfortunately only supports two VST plug-ins (and only
in an effect send loop, no way to put plug-ins pre looper to play them
and loop the effect spiced sound).

> 2) Steinberg are going to drop that functionality from the specs for vst
>with the next
>    big upgrade to the vst standard (vst3). It'll still be possible to
>create hosts and plugs that
>    use that type of syncing, but it's unlikely to become widespread.

Oh, that was bad news. At least there are still enough syncable VST
plug-ins available to set up a good looping rig around Mobius in
Bidule on Windows. My Mobius laptop rig won't need any more VST's so I
am gladly backing it up, with all my license keys, for using it for
many years on many lappies in the future.

> Matthias Grob has been in contact with Plogue, it seems that Bidule is
>not a significant source of income for them, they make a profit by
>selling their 'technology' to other companies. However, Bidule is
>important to them for publicity and as a demo.  They only have one
>developer working on Bidule ( mostly to support changes in the OS), but
>don't plan to abandon it.
> This explains why Bidule is still around, but not really changed much in
>a couple of years.

Not necessarily all bad news. The fact that software doesn't change
may actually a good thing for active artists. Given the software works
well. This gives you a stable platform and instrument to develop your
musical expression with.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen