Laptop live looping

I'm from Argentina so please forget my english!

Hi, it's been a long time since i participate here. I don't know if someone will remember me but in past times you all been so kind (specially the Walker brothers) that i thought of asking for some help here.

I want to reconnect with my looping but in a whole different form and context.

I've already bought a macbook and want to work directly from my guitar to it using an audio interface. The thing is, there are hundreds of them and i dont know wich one to choose. Also, money it's a difficulty. Here the prices are (not only in direct relation with our incomes, also with the taxes) REALLY higher than in the US or Europe. For example, a MOTU Ultralite it cost in musiciansfriend.com usd 549.99 and in reaches my country costing usd 950. You se what i'm talking about.

Essencialy what i need is something that would allow me to procces and loop my guitar in real time on live performances.

Any ideas coming from your experience?

On the software side, i've been listening to what Krispen Hartung and Jeff Kaiser are doing i feel very attracted towards MAX/MSP.
It's really difficult to work with it? I mean, is it a really long learning curve? How about Reaktor?

Thanks to you all! and kind regards!