Drum machines, etc

: "Tom Rex" <tomrex1@cox.net>    wrote:

> Nice discussion!  I believe someone once said that this group DOES have
> it's opinions.  Amen, and amen!

I recently had a conversation with an old friend.  The name of Winton
Marcelus came up in connection with having both jazz chops and classical
chops.  He said that his classical playing was OK, but not compared to
someone playing "legit music".

I guess that's the perspective of someone playing in an internationally
renown orchestra.  However, I had not heard that term, "legit" in ages.  I
didn't know it even was around anymore.

I suppose the same could be said of a classical musician playing jazz.  Or
drummers and drum machines, or to use another really old term, The Side
Man,
which put a lot of us "legit" drummers out of business, where the
Musicians
Union was not so strong.  Hee haw!

It's a different world, now, where non-drummers are playing drum machines,
and even, non-musicians are playing music!  I personally believe that the
music world is a lot better because of this!

Tom