Re: Drum machine PRE AMP???

Wow, great tips Rick and Douglas!

That reminds me of some other things that have worked for me.

1) Listen closely to drum machines used successfully in pop music.
>From that I've learned that lots of programmers will layer several
samples together for 1 drum sound. Lots of songs in the 90's are
combinations of different snares with slightly different attackes. In
the early 2000's, bit reduction was very popular. Portishead would
often run the snare through different effects than the rest of the
drum kit, and would sometimes add subtle envelope filters to the
hi-hats to simulate analog tape decay.

2) I don't record rhythmic drum loops very often, but when I do, I
almost always turn off the beat correction. In fact, I ignore the drum
machine's internal programmer entirely and run run it through the
DL-4. That also lets you easily use different effects for the
different layers.

I'm going to agree with Rick in that using a drum machine as a 'rhythm
section' for you to play over is going to sound like canned music -
because that's exactly what it is. In the vast majority of
live-instrument shows I've heard, pre-recorded beats felt more like a
cage for the instruments than a supporting role.

Matt
www.ribosomemusic.com