Re: Drum machine PRE AMP???

On 25 sep 2007, at 05.10, kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:

> Often, when I am just experimenting with patterns, etc... I just
> loop 'n quantize -- once the decisions are made, I re-record
> everything without quantization and loops.  This brings a human
> "feel" and "nuance" to the result.

In my own praxis I prefer strictly quantized drum programming. The
reason is that my taste rather favors "making machines groove"  than
"laying down a human groove". However, I quantize, but not
mathematically "on the beat". Instead I use groove templates of a
couple of bars length.  In some software I work with, I like to
change this global template while the music is going to change "the
feel" of all synchronized machines ("grooving the entire orchestra").
It amazes me that so few of the music software manufacturers out
there offer this option (in fact, this phenomenon is what
traditionally makes great bands what they are). In drum programming I
apply random scripts, not to affect the timing, but to mess up
factors as note duration, timbre, pitch or effects like ring
modulation (nice for hi hat).

Interesting thread! Enjoyed the video on the Aamen break. Great that
the narrator wrapped it up with Lawrence Lessig etc. Made sense.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)