Re: problem w/live looping using mic - "Empty Scores"

hi there

I do a sort of similar thing. I set ableton to loop at various preset intervals during the performance, sometimes I will not know when exactly I am going to be looped. I do this by internally routing Abletons midi sequencer via IAC to record clips-simple method, route the midi, choose the clip to be controlled set to midi learn press play. The lengths and playback are all drawn by hand or played into to the sequencer. The sampler is also used, loops recorded are automatically mapped and pitch, playback frequency sample start are all pre 'drawn'. Using Kontakt it should theoretically be possible to have the played material harmonised by using the time machine algorithm, play a "C" map draw C E G into the sequencer, although I am not sure if this can be completely automated.  Effects are also controlled this way. One improvisation is in the form of a suite, the looping ' blank' structure is one minute long and repeated eight times separated by short short ten second gaps. One can even loop and sample structures....
 The overall structure tends to follow a rather basic arch shape, parts and loops are brought back, played as cannons, transposed, cut up with automated beat slicers reversed bussed into separate fx sends, complexity increases in the middle and decreases towards the end. I play in time by using a visual click when I want the loops to play in sync with me or follow intended rhythmic ratios ( I cross  rhythms such as 5 against 6 etc by detuning the sample recorded loops) or completely free for more ambient or chaotic pieces. It is interesting as the computer becomes like another player to perform with, and the performer can completely forget about the technical side of the looping process. hope to build an analog machine that will remove the laptop from the equation, but some sort of midi sequencer is essential. I have used this on a john Cage prepared Rhodes piano with some success, but have had problems with acoustic pianos and PA's.

One thing I did recently at a local school I sometimes teach was have some young school children control the looping, fx. and mixing of a live piano improvisation (mic and looping an acoustic piano- what a nightmare) via midi linked playstation controllers. Kids were like a lagged white noise mod source, with the emphasis on noise..:)

leon

So, related to that idea, I was wondering, to you, or

anyone else who's been working with these ideas, how

much of your empty score is predetermined, and how

much is left flexible ussually? What types of things

do you program into those midi sequences (midiclips?

Do you use ableton?). Looping changes? Bringing back

old parts? Fade outs? Effects?