Re: problem w/live looping using mic - "Empty Scores"

Hey Zoe,

Not to make you blush more, but I've got to second the
awesomeness comment. More than just impressed, I went
and checked out your music, and its just plain great
:).

So, I don't know how much this is about the mics now,
but I noticed that you say you use a

"empty-score" (a blank musical framework in the form
of pre-programmed midi sequences that I then play the
music into)

I've been experimenting with this idea, and was
wondering, do you have the midi sequences as freely
callable tools at your disposal (i.e. non-sequentially
individually callable) or is the form locked in, and
it varies more by what you play each time into the
"empty-score".

I was thinking through this idea with Kid Beyond over
the summer, as one of his songs, 'Cathedrals', is more
or less an empty score in ableton, that takes the
input material and midi clips it around to form the
song. At the far extreme you could even predeterimine
the song as one giant clip, which would require you to
know when to play what, but after you hit start, would
not require foot switching etc.

This of course is an extreme, and would be very
limiting to amount of improvisation involved, but its
a neat to look all the way to the end of the spectrum.
I could also imagine a world, where composers of
"empty-scores" could share their scores with other
musicians, who could learn how to play them and come
up with entirely different music, that would still be
bound together to the fundamentals of the empty score
loop architecture. You could even write some stuff
down on a piece of paper, a "real" score to help an
artist learn your "empty" score.

What seems cool about the idea is not so much the
codifying and reductionist thinking, but the concept
that through speaking a common language, people could
start sharing their architectures they've developed,
their empty scores, with eachother, allowing us to be
simultaneously loop players, of our own scores and
other's scores, but also loop composers, of scores to
share with other loop musicians.

So, related to that idea, I was wondering, to you, or
anyone else who's been working with these ideas, how
much of your empty score is predetermined, and how
much is left flexible ussually? What types of things
do you program into those midi sequences (midiclips?
Do you use ableton?). Looping changes? Bringing back
old parts? Fade outs? Effects?

I'm been working on this myself, using midiclips in
ableton, but I've been stuggleing with setting up the
architecture in a way that encourages creativity as
opposed to giving me either too much to think about,
or made me feel like I was playing in a box.

Cheers,
Jesse

--- Zoe Keating <cello@zoekeating.com> wrote:

> *blush* thank ye!
>
> hey, we all start somewhere. and even if music can
> only be "hobby",
> it is no less valid.
>
> my first looping gig was at y2k2 and i was so
> nervous i could hardly
> hold the bow. my most recent gig was on jay leno, on
> tuesday (but not
> looping alas...).
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_GHbuFlya4
>

> On Sep 22, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Chris D'Errico wrote:
>
> > By the way, I checked out your website & you're
> amazing.
> >
> > My latest "project" is called "Sidewalk Beggar", a
> humble
> > undertaking considering your accomplishments.

Got a little couch potato?