RE: circus animals? (Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promomaterial? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial)

What a relief to find out that others have this problem too! It gets so I
can hardly walk down the street without being mobbed sometimes...

I'm not as contemptuous of audience relations as some others here. A
performance is a social interaction. Applause is part of that interaction,
and part of the context. I can play terrific music as background in a
restaurant and have 2 people nod at me with satisfaction and feel good
about
it. If I'm totally ignored it feels a bit frustrating. If I'm playing with
singer and there's no applause after a piece it feels weird. I take none of
these as a reflection on the quality of the music.

Someone "earns" my applause, or inner approval, or repeat business by doing
something interesting and perhaps beautiful on stage (or on recording). As
guitarist, I am sometimes envious of people with more facility than I, but
only if they're using it to accomplish the above. And, in fact, I usually
admire the knowledge, ear and taste far more than the facility - but
sometimes the facility is integral to it (to take a single random example,
say, in the case of Leo Kottke).

Warren