Re: loop sync semantics

Jeff Larson wrote:
> [jeff]
>>> The first press would wait for the master loop start point.
>
> [andy]
>> Only if Quantise is used
>

> Really?  I missed that.  Page 6-7 doesn't mention that you have to
> have Quantise=Cycle but that would make sense.
>
> But if Quantise is not on, how does it know to make the loop an exact
> multiple of the master cycle?

The Slave EDP picks up the looptime by measuring the gap between 2 cycle
starts.

>  When you end the recording it could not
> "continue until the next pulse comes in" (step 7 on 6-8).  If it did
> then you would end up with a loop that was a fraction of the master
> cycle, it started in the middle but ended at the next "pulse".

When you start recording the EDP already knows how long the cycle is.

> If Quantize is off, does it always assume that a brother sync'd
> recording will be a multiple of the master cycle length, in effect a
> different form of "relative" quantization?

Only by default.
Use the Overdub button to Toggle sync on/off (whatever the Quantise param)

> Or is it more like Tempo Select?

no, but EDP has that too :-)

Matthias worked out all this stuff to make it possible for loopers to play
synced together very easily.
In practice, it "just works".

> Thanks,
> Jeff