Re: Message Board

web
forum format over email when forums are so clumsy, immature
(technology wise), feature poor, and inefficient.

Yes, heaven forbid someone have a different preference than you!

I think some of you frequent the wrong message boards. I've never found the
many active boards that i frequent to be 'clumsy, feature poor, or
inefficient'. As a matter of fact, I'd say all of those apply to email
lists, but I'm not silly enough to assume that my preferences should be the
gold standard. I mean- let's post some pictures of our setups! Oh wait,
can't do that. Let's post some clips of our work to one central web
location wher everyone can look at everything in one spot! Oh wait, can't
do that. How about an off topic forum where people who have one thing in
common (looping) can discuss other aspects of the universe we live in- oh
wait, can't do that.....all very very simple things to accomplish in a
message board format.

People like different things- what get's me fired up is when someone tries
to simply declare that their way is the best, and somehow anyone who
disagrees just doesn't understand.

Also- I think it's rather condescending to assume that because someone
prefers a different format that it somehow impies that they don't know how
to use their computer/email.

             "Todd Pafford"                    To:
Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

             <calenlas@gmail.com>              cc:

             04/25/2006 12:33 PM               Subject:  Re: Message Board

             Please respond to

             Loopers-Delight

Well said Ian.  I agree one hundred percent.  I would postulate that
those that always complain about the email list (whether in
comparision to a web forum or digests) simply aren't using their mail
client to it's fullest potential.  Email is THE electronic way to hold
conversations.  The applications have matured for more than twenty
years now.  Take the time to 1) find a good email client, 2) learn how
to use it, and 3) customize it's filters and sorting to work the way
you want it to.  Now, this is important so let's say it again:  Learn
to make the computer do what you want it to.

Failing all that, use GMail <http://mail.google.com>.  It's free and a
joy to use.  You lose some flexibility, but it's conversation views,
filtering, and labelling are straight forward and easy to use.

I shudder to think that there are people that actually prefer the web
forum format over email when forums are so clumsy, immature
(technology wise), feature poor, and inefficient.  It makes me wonder
what the rest of their computing experience must be like if a web
forum is the pinacle of achievment by which other technologies are
found lacking.

So, in short:  love the list, love email, keep it as it is, make your
computer work for you, and down with web forums.  ;)

Todd