From: Kevin [mailto:kevin@TheNettles.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:11 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Digital vs. Analog (Was: Line 6 Tonecore Verbzilla)

I don't want to seem like a troglodyte or anything but I wonder if
people have simply considered a judicious selection of analog pedals
and a good cab simulator instead of digital simulations.  I have a
modest pedal board with pitch-shifter, delay, distortion, wah, reverb
and chorus but I never seem to run out of incredible sounds to create
from it.  I've tried a number of digital boards but the problems I
have with them are twofold:

First, patches aren't intuitive. I don't know exactly what I'm
getting as I do when I'm tweaking knobs.  There's a discontinuity
that I find very disconcerting.

Second, digital simulations seem to break down at those very points
that I find most interesting when I'm working with analog effects. A
digital howl disappears just when I want to goose it with excessive
amounts of gain or with total abuse of my wah or  pitch-shifter
pedal.  A low level multi-harmonic hum fades just when I want to
capture it in a loop.

Am I alone here or are their other folks who like to abuse analog or
even acoustic effects?  Or will I finally see the light and buy a
laptop to cultivate my very own VST farm?

Cheaply,
Kevin