Re: Real-time category

I don't think Wikipedia is a great source of definitive technical
data, but in the RTOS entry therein I do see where the two examples it
cites are in range of microseconds.  The matter that I was discussing
was actually related to the period that elapses between when a MIDI
event is received by the EDP (a "Record" message for example) and when
the EDP can actually begin recording.

Again, my understanding is that the EDP was designed so that the lapse
between command and execution is constant, and I believe that constant
is 1.5ms.  A constant 1.5ms seems to be plenty accurate enough for
musicians needs in this context (looping).  If you're doing engine
management on a rocket, it may be woefully slow.  I'm not talking
about MIDI jitter in this case, but the response time between user
commands and execution.

And the RTOS vs. non-RTOS tool debate that I believed I was
participating in concerned the issue of personal computer operating
systems being a bit of obstacle to providing a constant command
latency figure.  Most people are aware that it's a good idea to turn
off your network connection, quit out of all other programs, disable
energy saving features, etc. when you're running many music
applications.  What I was referring to was the potential of
unanticipated delays in processing commands within an audio
application which are a result of OS design that are possibly beyond
the ability of a regular user to address.

Changing control panel settings and preferences wouldn't affect these
problems because they happen at lower levels of the OS than the
standard user interface can affect, and are possibly tied in with the
particular hardware design of the computer in question, hence the
importance of checking for "preferred chip sets" and such when buying
a computer for audio purposes.

Earlier someone mentioned that modern computers are so fast that this
isn't much of an issue, and I'd say that potentially it's not an issue
for a given set of tasks, but many people have the experience of
tracks and edit points no matter how fast the computer is.  The
display stops keeping pace with playback, recorded audio may get
choppy, MIDI and audio tracks lose sync, and eventually you get an
error or a crash.  With something like the EDP, the UI has been
optimised and stripped down to a set of possibilities that esentially
prevent this from happening given the overall performance of the
system.

Again, I've always been referring to looping-type tools, not soft
synths or amp simulators or what have you.

TravisH