Re: using laptops for music

I have to throw in my couple of cents here, I agree totally that you need
to look for a commercial model. I'm still using my compaq m300 which would
be about 6 or 7 yrs old. I have upgraded hard drives, cd burners, memory
and OS systems over the years but the laptop itself is still chugging
along. The m series was what compaq was calling their business line back
then, and the other main line was the pesario which was the consumer line.
Back then I chose the m300 because it had a lot more metal in the case
compared to the pesario and I was touring a lot back then. You still see
quite a few of these m300s on ebay working fine, but not nearly fast
enough
for what we want it to do, and I must say that Travis was right on when he
talked about depreciation if that wants to factor into your decision. My
laptop would sell for maybe $150.00, while my 3 yr old edp would fetch
maybe $800.00 (which is more than I paid for it).

By way of interest, at the hospital that I'm working at, they have these
mobile work stations all over for the nurses that are networked etc. and
they are all IBMs. They must have to stand up to a lot of abuse as they
are
on these small rolling stations that are just out in the halls. I know the
porters are pretty rammy when rolling those beds and gurney's around, you
should see the condition of the walls!!!!! When I'm wandering around the
halls today I'll take a look at one and see what the specs are on it.

Paul Haslem,
Ontario, Canada
www.dulcify.ca