Re: using laptops for music

> hmm ... 2.3 gHz processor ... 14.1" display ... 1 gB primary memory,
> 100 gB secondary memory ... 3700 USD
>
> why is this thing 1200 USD more expensive than a new 17" 1.67 gHz
> powerbook with the same memory?
>
> i thought that macintoshes were more expensive? wtf?
> ---
> Eric Williamson

Well, if I was obnixious, I would say because it kicks ass. :)

But seriously, I believe it has partly to do with supply and demand, and
what comes with these commercial boxes. You don't see fortune 100 companies
buying hundreds of thousands of MACs for their workplace.  Companies like
this buy really robust commerical boxes that come loaded with all sorts of
other goodies for networking, support, security, extensive support packs,
wireless, etc.  You  might find it interesting that Intel supplies most of
their entire workforce with ThinkPads....hmmmm...now, given the linkages
they have with all PC manufacturers and the propietary inside information
they have access to because their engineering teams work together on
product
development, why would they do that that? wtf? :)  Most of these companies
with hundreds of thousands of employees are buying commercial boxes from
the
likes of IBM, HP, and Dell (this makes up approx. 85% of commerical pc
sales
for enterprise level companies).

Secondly, remember, a 2.3gHz for a Centrino based notebook performs a lot
more efficiently than a 2.3gHz non-Centrino Intel based processor.  This
literally screams past the MAC 1.6gHz. Did you know that MAC plans to use
Intel processors in their future desktops? Why would they do this?  Because
Intil keeps pushing the edge of processor performance and MAC wants a piece
of the action. Not notebooks yet. Another tid bit, IBM sold their entire PC
line to Lenovo. We'll see probably see a brand name change eventually.

Thirdly, let's look at what else is under the hood of some of the most
expensive boxes for IBM, HP, and MAC:

IBM T Series:
http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2049168&storeId=10000001&catalogId=-840&langId=-1

MAC PowerBook:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=PowerBook

HP:
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBases.asp?ProductLineId=539&FamilyId=2110&jumpid=re_R2515_store/smProdCat/PSG/notebooks/HP_nw8240_notebook

Anyway, there are other factors at stake here. I'm just highlighting a few.
Moreover, Travis basically linked to one of my dream boxes.

Kris