Re: using laptops for music

But what exactly constitutes a "commercial" box?  I'm not seeing this
hard distinction being drawn in their online sales sites.  For things
like kitchen appliances, you go to a restaurant supply store and find
that everything costs way more--like, $300 toasters.  It looks pretty
much like a $30 toaster you buy at Sears, but all the components are
heavier so it can stand up to commericial duty cycles (such as making
500 pieces of toast, every day for years).  It seems to me that a
"commercial" lap top would weigh a couple pounds more and be visibly
bulkier than a consumer unit, the ports would all have rubber gasket
covers to keep water/sand/whatever out, the screen would have some
super scratch resistant coating, etc.

I don't see that in the HP or Thinkpad models that have been
discussed, they just seem to have a faster processor, bigger hard
drive and more ram.  It's like someone's Civic with a bunch of bolt-on
performance parts as opposed to something that's a racing chassis by
design.  And if you say that your consumer grade HP laptop has held up
to all sorts of physical abuse, then it appears that the issue is more
one of performance and not physical ruggedness, which was my concern
when this sub-thread first started, i.e. how well will a laptop hold
up to road conditions, being dropped on the floor, having cable yanked
out by passing strangers, etc.

TravisH