Re: using laptops for music

Yep, you have the magic formula, Per. My wife at Intel would be beaming
with
delight to hear you write as such about the Centrino chipset.  My lips are
sealed, but wait until you see what Intel comes out with in January. My
work
notebook is an HP/Compaq NC6000 with the Intel M processor, only 1.6ghz,
and
it still kicks butt on my personal laptop with Pentium 4, 2.4ghz!   And now
my personal laptop is starting to crap out and get the "blue screen of
death."  I'm in trouble, because this is my music notebook...I should have
taken my wife's advice, and NEVER have bought that consumer model
notebook...bad, bad, bad...I learned a big lesson.  I should have spent an
extra grand for a commercial box with an M processor, XP Pro, etc.

Also, regarding your statement below, I might argue with that when it comes
to "some" commercial boxes. I have had my work notebook, the NC model, for
over three years, using it 10-14 hours a day...it is on 24 hours a day.
I've
taken it on business trips, yanked it around to meeting rooms, dropped it
in
its bag, worked on the plane where people in front of me jammed their seat
back into my display, worked in hotels, in bed when my back was hurt,
etc.....I expect this thing will easily last another two years. You are
right about the insurance, or what we like to refer to as extended
warranties in PC land, or Care Packs in HP.  You'll note that with the
expensive commercial boxes like the HP NC models and IMB models, you often
get 3 year warranties. This is another reason why enterprise level
companies
buy these commercial boxes.

Kris