RE: Classical music loops

Please excuse my ignorance but:

If I were to purchase a Sample CD like Scoring Tools and it says "Akai",
what exactly does that mean. Do I need an Akai synth to play these things,
or can I play them on a normal CD player, create a WAV file an then use
something like Sonic Foundry to put it all together.

Is there something online that explains this, so I don't have to bug you
guys.

Thanks very much.
Alex