Re: Noisy 'Rang? (off "help finding pedals")

At 1:43 PM 1/2/99, Tim Walker wrote:
>Hi y'all,
>
>In one reply in the "help finding pedals" thread, I noticed the comment
>from PJ that the Boomerang Phrase Sampler is too noisy. Personally,
>I've never really noticed much background noise from my 'Rang, which
>I've owned since April '98 - indeed, I'm usually more worried about the
>noise from my Zoom 4040 multi-FX!

I also don't think the that 'Rang is particularly noisy if you set up the
gain structure correctly, which does take a bit of tweaking. When I added
the Rang to the mess of pedals I run my bass through live, I didn't notice
it adding any noise, though I admit to being considerably less than an
audiophile concerning my live sound.

The Rang does affect the sound, though. I notice my bass loses both some
highs and lows when looped, and generally sounds a bit thinner. (the direct
signal sounds fine). This is probably due to the Rang's low sampling
frequency (8k? 11K? don't remember and, frankly, don't care that much). I
personally like this effect, it tends to make the loops more distinct from
my real-time playing, and generally makes the loops compete less with the
unlooped bass. If I need higher-fidelity looping, I use my JamMan.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra