Re: Loop software with varispeed-thankyou

> andy butler schrieb:
>>
>> Varispeed by midi Note seems popular, I'd be thinking that if you had
>that
>> you wouldn't need to restrict midi CC to discrete values, but that in
>> addition
>> an unquantised midi CC control would be useful.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Stefan Tiedje
<stefantiedje@googlemail.com> wrote:
> If controlling pitch with CC, you need to do it with 14-bit precision.
>The
> usuall Midi event aimed at that would be pitchbend btw...
> 7-bit are not sufficient, especially with bigger ranges. 14-bit is sort
>of
> ok...

Stefan, at first sight I found your message difficult to understand
because both MIDI PitchBend and all the MIDI CC's split the data range
into 128 possible values. One might of course discuss whether this
resolution really should be labeled "continuous" and I guess you were
not meaning "MIDI CC" when you wrote "CC", but rather some other CC
system with a higher resolution? If so, you're post makes sense.

There are indeed other systems around for continuous control that
offer much better resolution, but I doubt it would make sense to go
into that for the cause of "making vibrato" or "performing virtual
scratching" with audio loops. I myself use a higher resolution CC
system when composing in Logic by painting automation graphs and in
that context it really makes a difference, meaning you hear the
smoother transition of sound. On the Repeater I also noticed that it
was impossible to use MIDI CC's 128 steps to set up clean pitch
intervals. Some intervals sounded out of tune and it wasn't possible
to fix that because the musically correct MIDI CC value should have
been somewhere between two steps. What a bummer! But when using semi
tone note steps I've never had that problem, on the Repeater or any
other looper that does pitch change.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen