OT: QUESTIONS ANOUT LOW-FI DIGITAL VIDEO CAMS

Greetings Spacefarers,

Like a good many of you I am finding myself watching in amazement as
some of our colleagues from this very LD list create and post some
rather nice little (if grainy) videos online - the most creative of
which seem to be done especially on the cheap and low-fi end of the
technology spectrum.

Fascinated as I am myself with this phenomenon, I continue to feel
somewhat fearful about trying anything similar of my own for the simple
fact that (even though I am a parent of 3 children) I have never even
owned a video camera in my life.

On occasion, some friend at some function or gathering will hand a
camcorder to me so I can continue to record some scene while they
themselves are otherwise occupied.

This has always left me feeling rather nervous (even though I am quite
comfortable around "still" cameras - digital or otherwise - having
studied photography in HS and college).

But that is the sum of my experience with the things.

The short version of the long story: when the kids were small, cameras
were bulky, complex and expensive . . . we were poor and had other
survival considerations in mind than providing video fodder for
deprived grandparents only a few hours away.

So we never bought one.

Now these things are getting smaller and seemingly cheaper all the time
(even in the range I am thinking of . . . like one of those little Flip
Video DV Cams).

Someone on the list recently mentioned the Flip Cam as something they
used.

Anyone using one and also using a Mac to edit their video on?

Other solutions and/or suggestions (given that I am solidly committed
to the Mac platform - it's what I've been using for 20 years)?

What software are you editing these videos in.

Thanks for any info any of you might provide.

tEd ® KiLLiAn

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian

http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian

http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes