Re: List Privacy (was: OT: Diabetes)

At 3:09 PM +0200 6/5/08, Buzap Buzap wrote:

>Just one thing:
>You guys are aware that every little thing you write here is
>readable & searchable in Google, right?
>
>While I personally don't mind much about looping stuff, on personal
>matters I'm a bit more careful about privacy on the Internet.

Yeah, this point deserves a big +1, IMNSHO.

I've complained about this on multiple occasions, and it's the only
reason why I now hide behind a pseudonym rather than posting under my
proper name.

And concerns like these are not necessarily unfounded.  In the past,
I used to post using my real name here.  Then, I took part in an OT
conversation which veered off toward a couple of mildly racy
subjects.  Not long after, I was confronted with this by my ex-wife
(who had Google-stalked that conversation).  She then used that same
LD thread to question/threaten my visitation rights with my son.

I didn't realize at the time that it was possible to pull up LD posts
via a simple Google search.  More fool me; I figured that one out the
hard way.

And, granted, not everybody's got a crazy ex- tracking their
movements, but it might be worth keeping in mind that this list is
currently open to the whole darn world.

>But that's my opinion, as long as you're aware of what youre doing -
>fine with me! :-)

As Buzap rightly pointed out, it's definitely at the poster's
discretion.  But one ought to at least stay cognizant of the privacy
concerns here.

        --m.
--
_____