Re: Powered Subs

Thanks, Rick.

I'm still sort of considering those JBLs too, mainly because I could run
stereo and I could mount my main speakers on top of them. They would match
well together. I just don't know enough about the JBL subs, etc. I am
going
down to Guitar Center tomorrow to talk to them and see what else they have.

Regarding the weight of the Mackie...oh yeah, after a back surgery two
years
ago and constant back problems, I don't plan on lifting that bad boy. I'm
bring someone over to lift it for me. The nice thing about the Mackie is
that if I decided to buy a second one, I would be positioned to do somer
really big shows with serious low end.

I agree that lower volume can be just as effective. Part of the reason why
want a sub is separation. Bill had expressed some doubt regarding why
anyone
would want a sub, vs just using a full range powered speaker. For me, the
answer is simple (a rhetorical question), why do many high end home
theaters
and home sound systems have powered subs? Why woudl they buy those
expensive
subs if it made no difference or only muddied things up? They wouldn't/
Because it is about separation, control, and fidelity. I don't want major
low end going through my mains. I want clarity in mid range and highs,
separate from low end. I'd rather not work my mains that hard, especially
if
I do need to increase volume in a large venue. The other reason, is that I
just love low end!  When used effectively, it can be powerful and moving.
Some interesting things happen in those nether frequencies. :)   And I
agree
with Bill that some people abuse low end.  I have seen really high end
PAs,
three way, stereo, all separate amps, cross-overs, etc, etc...sound like
crap or wonderful, depending on the ear of the sound person.  There is no
reason why a two powered mains and a single high end sub can't sound
kickass
and have an edge over just the powered mains.

Kris