Re: Portable field recorders (again)

Hi Andy,

I read that article too. But I have not heard any such tone in
recordings I've made with my H4. If you buy one in a music store you
may certainly ask to do a check on it before making up your mind.
Spend five minutes with the unit to put in batteries, record
something and listen back to the recording using closed headphones.
Then you should stay free from picking up a bad unit (as I expect
that particular reviewer did). A big part of the cost saving when
manufacturing such inexpensive gear is gained by cutting out on
quality assurance ;-)

I always run it on batteries. And I have recorded live audio to 128
mbps mp3, to 24 bit at 4100 Hz and to 24 bit at 96000 Hz. All fine!
An interesting finding was that working at 96 kHz did not improve
anything. Probably the built-in mics does not stretch into that
territory and I didn't do enough digital processing to take advantage
of the higher sample rate. So, 24/41k is my fav.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.ilike.com/artist/Per+Boysen