Re: Loop Survey - Summary

On 30 sep 2007, at 21.54, Krispen Hartung wrote:
> What is interesting and also misleading about this is that MAX/MSP is
> technically not a looper. One can build his/her own looper in MAX/
> MSP, but
> the features and functionality of that will vary wildly...so that
> stat is
> not really that relevant to anyone who wants to use MAX/MSP as a
> looper,
> because they have to build their own or use on of the many looping
> patches
> that max users have built.  In short, when we call max a looper,
> that could
> mean a simple patch that emulates the DL4 to a complex patch that
> emulates
> several features from Mobius, EDP, Repeater, etc.

This is very true. As we're commenting the summary it should also be
noted that Ableton Live is also not a looper in that regard (DL4, EDP
etc). After having looped an audio input in Live you can not layer
more audio by overdubbing into the loop. You have to record new loops
*in parallel* or *after*. So the choice of either Live or Mobius
gives a strong hint at which major looping methodology a person
subscribes to; Mobius going back to the EDP school of working an
interchanging loop, while Live goes back to traditional sampling
techniques.

Ladies and gentlemen, a big hand for Rainer! Thank you for giving us
this interesting survey!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)