Re: Drum machines

I have always been impressed with Rick's knowledge and use of drum machines.  Great write up Rick!

I also have been impressed with the use of drum machines by many on this list.  In fact, it was Luis  who turned me on to the MPC 1000.  Since it has six outs, I run a pair of them through four Fab stomp boxes, which I got at Guitar Center for $50, in total.  I route different sounds from the MPC through them, such as Rick suggests.  Another cool thing about the MPC is their Q-link sliders which can be assigned to the sound samples, and then alter the pitch, volume, cutoff, resonance, or pan, in real time.

One of the things that I've been playing with is making songs, mostly with drum machine sounds.  I usually record the looping live, and then edit and arrange it in Cubase.  Besides the MPC, I use Battery and Microtonic software.  Microtonic is a drum synth, and Battery is a sampler, as most of you probably know.  I sometimes trigger the sounds with a Yamaha electronic kit.  Anyone interested can check out some of this at http://www.myspace.com/yetanotherbeatmaker   If nothing else, you can see that i'm still proudly waring my Y2K tee shirt!

When I first joined the list, I knew almost nothing about drum machines, not even how to program my Boss DR-550 that I had at the time.  But through the inspiration of Rick, and others, the machines started to make some sense!  Thanks to you all!

It might be fun to see what everyone is using now in drum machines.  I've been wondering if there has been a shift to software and laptops, sort of like the looping hardware and software discussion recently.

Tom