Re: problem w/live looping using mic

this is my #1 problem onstage when looping on cello. i deal with it by:

1) being very specific in my stage plot about how i am positioned relative to the speakers. no speakers should be pointing at me and i try to be positioned at least 6 feet behind the nearest PA speakers. i.e. the back of the stage! some venues (dance clubs) have speakers pointing towards the stage, i get them to turn those off for my performance. and setups where the PA is angled and the stage falls in the sound arc. i won't play  those stages anymore.

2) related to that, if using an amplifier, set it in front of you and do your looping behind it.

3) don't do looping while on top of a subwoofer. often they are underneath the stage. find out where they are and move away from them.

4) certain kinds of microphones are worse than others. make sure your mic is directional and is not picking up sound behind it.

5) before soundcheck explain the technicalities of what you're doing to the soundperson. there is a physical limit to how loud i can go before sonic chaos ensues. i work with the soundperson to find this threshold during soundcheck so they can experience it.

6) in ear monitors.