Re: AW: Quasi Digital/Analog Modular Looper?

On 19 Sep 2007, at 23:21, kkissinger@kevinkissinger.com wrote:

> The Looperlative will quantize to the nearest MIDI clock pulse if
> you so desire.
>
> Back to your loops.. if one loop has a length of 15 sixteenth notes
> and the other a lenght of 12 sixteenth notes you could reduce it
> down to five against three (by dividing by three).  You could
> actually accomplish this on something as "basic" as an RC50.  You
> would record an initial loop that is one measure long -- then
> quantize the other loops to it.  Your intial loop could be silent
> -- just a placeholder, so to speak.  (The RC50 can quantize to the
> nearest measure, so you could then create a 3 measure loop against
> a 5 measure loop).

This did occur to me, It is strange how the RC can only use a measure
as its quantize ref. I suppose it could work if the place measure was
only a 16th note long.

> Now, the musical material that you play may indeed by 15/16 against
> 3/4 however the loop's proportional lengths will be a simple ratio
> of 3 to 5.
>
> I am probably not really answering your question.  However, try
> translating your time signatures into clock time and find the
> overall ratio of the loops.  There may be a simple way to do what
> you want to do.

No, thats very helpful. At the moment I chain up 3 boss gigadelays
and set the loop lengths in seconds, this gives me a total of 6
loops. So i have got used to thinking in time rather than bars.
Problem is it takes a while to change the lengths between pieces. If
only the boss gigadelay had presets.

> Your idea, to merge analog modules with loops is very intriguing
> and look forward to hearing your progress on your looping journey.

I think it could be very interesting and am going to build one up.
Wouldn't even really be a merge, as a dedicated looper system could
be specifically created. There are small minicases from Doepfer

http://www.doepfer.de/A100_beauty_black.JPG

would allow the system to be physically very small as well as a big
rack system. OR lots of little systems could be strung together is
required. There is a loop playback function on the RS module and it
offers 27 seconds of sample time but I don't think you can overdub.
So a normal looper that accepts Midi  (using the midi delay expander)
would round everything off. The RS290 in  combination with a few
analog sequencer modules like this

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/sq8.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/concussor/gt8.htm

http://www.doepfer.de/A1882.htm

would offer a really complex system could be built that could be far
more flexible than any current hardware looper. (if cash is no problem!)
I cant' think of any function that current loopers offer that the
system could not be built to do, but I can imagine many things it
could do that are probably not possible at the moment.

Sequencers would re--trig loops, offering instant hands on controls
for adjusting all loop timing parameters. No menus to scroll through!
Also not forgetting the sonic mayhem that could result when you start
feeding loops and modules back on them selves or having ring
modulators, oscillators and envelope generators acting as sample loop
modulators -adjusting time, pitch direction start and end point etc).
Outputs from the loops could be sent to filters that are controlled
by other loops, and envelopes / oscillators could be loop synced. A
"real" modular built just for looping seems so much more appealing
than a virtual on built in Max Bidule or  Reaktor. And if you throw
in a few Serge or Moog modules will sonically kick any purely
software system into touch. You could even with Doepfer equipment
build a looping vocoder system...Or have an array of 5 theramin
modules each controlling the individual loops

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm