Re: AW: Quasi Digital/Analog Modular Looper?

On 19 Sep 2007, at 17:52, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

Let's see: Looperlative at $1349 + Nord Modular G2 Engine at $999 is below

your system with more power...

Checked out the rds,  however the RS integrator module also allows cv control of pitch, sample start and end points, RDS cannot do that also looks quite rare and scarce, great looking module though, and cheers for the info, will look out for one.
Really tempted with  the looperlative!

Does any looper have the following function?

1. Performer freely records a loop, it happens to consist of a sequence five beats long.
2. Performer somehow inputs "5" into  the looper, perhaps taps a defined foot switch 5 times  etc)
3. Looper then divides the sampled  recording (loop) into 5 equal parts ,does the math and then generates a quantize function so that the next loop will sync in eight or 16th notes (quarter, 8th or 16th preset by the performer). This will allow 15/16 over 3/4 for example
This means that loops could be quantised to a common unit with out the need for playing to a metronome.

 I'm not sure you could say the nord g2 ultimately has more power over a custom built modular looper as the rs cv sample based modular as the final build could be as complex as one wants (money permitting). I would imagine 4 sampling/ looping modules each with their own dedicated step sequencer, modulation sources and envelope generators. However definitely more flexible for the price, yet you pay for that in digital sound, I prefer analog.

I Have built modulars in Reaktor, and find it has the same "sound bottleneck' as the nord, what ever you patch it always tends to sound the "same" , where as when different modulars are linked together the character of  a Serge oscillator has a completely different tonal quality to that of a Moog EMU or Arp allowing a more natural wider sound pallet.

I am primarily interested in loopers allowing me to actualise rhythmic musical devices I have come across performing 20thc classical music which are always approximated with various degrees of accuracy in performance, complex ratios, metric modulations and cross rhythms.