Re: AW: Quasi Digital/Analog Modular Looper?

Quoting The woodshed <woodshed@blueyonder.co.uk>:

> Does any looper have the following function?
>
> 1. Performer freely records a loop, it happens to consist of a
> sequence five beats long.
> 2. Performer somehow inputs "5" into  the looper, perhaps taps a
> defined foot switch 5 times  etc)
> 3. Looper then divides the sampled  recording (loop) into 5 equal
> parts ,does the math and then generates a quantize function so that
> the next loop will sync in eight or 16th notes (quarter, 8th or 16th
> preset by the performer). This will allow 15/16 over 3/4 for example
> This means that loops could be quantised to a common unit with out  the
> need for playing to a metronome.

To think of loops as containing a certain number of beats is a
convenient way for musicians to think about loops and their
relationships to each other.

However, a given loop has a length in clock time.  In other words, a
loop of four beats at 60bpm will have the same length as a loop of
eight beats at 120bpm.  So, if you want two loops, one divided into 15
beats and another divided into, say, three beats that remain in
(rhythmic) phase then the two loops will be the same length.  If you
want the loops to go in and out of "phase" then they will be different
lengths.

The Looperlative will quantize to the nearest MIDI clock pulse if you
so desire.

Back to your loops.. if one loop has a length of 15 sixteenth notes
and the other a lenght of 12 sixteenth notes you could reduce it down
to five against three (by dividing by three).  You could actually
accomplish this on something as "basic" as an RC50.  You would record
an initial loop that is one measure long -- then quantize the other
loops to it.  Your intial loop could be silent -- just a placeholder,
so to speak.  (The RC50 can quantize to the nearest measure, so you
could then create a 3 measure loop against a 5 measure loop).

Now, the musical material that you play may indeed by 15/16 against
3/4 however the loop's proportional lengths will be a simple ratio of
3 to 5.

I am probably not really answering your question.  However, try
translating your time signatures into clock time and find the overall
ratio of the loops.  There may be a simple way to do what you want to
do.

I have a newly acquired Looperlative that I have not been able to use
(due to some upcoming performances -- which is good news).  One of the
possibilities is to NOT quantize with the Looperlative and, rather,
let my computer send the "loop end" messages.  After all, with a
sequencer, I have a lot of flexibility to quantize, not quantize,
etc... however at the "end of the day" I am just creating loops -- all
of which have given lengths.

If your experience is anything like mine, you will spend a lot more
money than you initially set out to spend.  If your point of departure
is $3000, then beware, it may be $6000 by the time you are finished!  :)

In fact, I just thought that my equipment interest would stabilize for
awhile -- and THANKS TO YOU --- I am now aware of a voltage-controlled
sampler -- and my theremin has CV outputs...   Just when I thought my
money was "safe".   :)

Your idea, to merge analog modules with loops is very intriguing and
look forward to hearing your progress on your looping journey.

Enjoy!

-- Kevin