Re: circus animals? (Re: WAS: Who uses looping in their promo material? NOW:Prerecordedmaterial)

On 13 sep 2007, at 19.41, Travis Hartnett wrote:
>  Now, if you're at a performance of Rachmaninoff's Fifth
> Piano Concerto, it's going to require a lot of notes played quickly
> and precisely.  Other musics may not.

So true! But that does not say anything about whether it was a good
musical performance. However, it probably was, because a person
capable of going through the intense training that leads to the level
of skill where one can play that stuff is likely to also have the
required talent for doing it in an interesting way, as a performer.

> If audience members are actively considering the difficulty of the
> performer's action, you're probably at a musical contest.  Some people
> find them enjoyable.

Yes, I know. And I have never understood why ;-)

On 13 sep 2007, at 19.49, Tilmann Dehnhard wrote:
> when someone comes to me after a concert to tell me that the
> concert was great, i simply say thank you.
> even if i disagree and just had a miserable time on stage (happens
> once in a while, such is life).

But experience proofs that you can deliver a good concert experience
to listeners even when you think that you play quite badly.  It's
strange, but YOU as the performer is really not the most trustworthy
person when it comes to putting a value on your own performance.

> for the person to come behind stage and say ANYTHING is already a
> nice thing.

Indeed! That's why I try to stay away from confronting people that
behave in ways or say things that appear ultimately strange to me. I
mean, the whole damn universe may look completely different to every
single person!

> once somebody came to me and said: "that's really nice, what you
> are doing there with your clarinet!"
> i said thank you and explained, that the instrument i was holding
> in my hand was a flute...

Ha, ha... that was a good one!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen