From: Krispen Hartung [mailto:khartung@cableone.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:23 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Who uses "looping" in their promo material?

I thought I would try to bring us back to some more germane list topics, very particular to looping.

For a while last year, my personal website referred to me as a looping "artist." I was rather proud of that description because of all the effort I put into using, researching, and promoting looping technology. However, this year I had second thoughts on referring to myself as a looping artist. It seemed to me that looping was just one element of my whole performance approach, but not the defining element. For example, there were many so called "looping performances", especially those where I played as a duo or trio, where I made minimal use of looping technology.  Looping technology was just one out of many devices I used to express myself - but easily over-used in a duo or trio context.  And then I started thinking about looping relative to the concept of genre. I don't really consider looping a genre, because we have all seen that there are musicians from many typical genres (jazz, pop, ambient, experimental, fusion, classical, etc) all using looping technology. Now that looping technology is so prevalent in the industry, it seems odd to consider looping a genre...YET, I still feel a strong sense of attachment and community to this list, a feeling of solidarity that perhaps one can confound with genre Out of all the lists that I am a member of,  LD is the only one that gets close to a sense of "family" and class membership.  I have deveoped many, many productive and enuring relationship as a result of this list. Now, I get totally excited to go to a Y2K event and see many of you in person. It is a powerful community, and I thank Kim for starting it.

Consequently, I don't consider myself a looping artist anymore, but just a creative performance and composition artist. That seems fitting for what I do, even though looping technology is most always present in some degree or another in my work. But because of my passion toward the technology and this list, I still feel tempted to call myself a looping artist.  And I feel a sense of pride in this when I see other mainstream and well known artists use looping technology, but only as a gimick or fleeting effect, vs. somethin that I have really mastered and can use as a composition tool.  We are among the few and proud, but how do we position ourselves in the music industry? Are we are our own worse enemies? What sort of influence do we have as a social network?  Does the music industry give a damn about this list? When is the last time any manufacture has used this list to do user research on a new looping device? We are a powerful group. Is the industry recognizing us for our accomplishments? (Granted, that Guitar Mag article on Y2K7 was a NICE deal).

Thoughts?

Kris

Krispen Hartung
www.krispenhartung.com / www.myspace.com/krispenhartung