Re: Who uses "looping" in their promo material?

Unfortunately, I don't feel like "looping" is a very useful term for
promotion. (Unless you're talking about a 'looping festival'.) To me
it sounds like trying too hard to popularize a new slang word. You
have to stop and explain the process to people, and then more time is
necessary to describe how it's different from popular music that uses
looped phrases (like dance and rap music). I like the phrase "live
sampling" a little better, since it requires less explanation.

I've also learned recently to be careful about using the words
"experimental" or "avant garde" in promotion. In cases where
experimental hasn't yet been co-opted by electronic dance music, it
often carries a connotation of being 'difficult' music.

So in my promotional materials, I've worked on a way to describe what
I do without using any genres. Instead I use descriptive phrases for
the different sort of sounds I make - stuff like "bubbling subharmonic
beds" and "sonic imitations of natural environments".

Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> was like: