RIP JZ

So sad to hear about Joe Zawinul.

 There were few pianists of his generation who made the transition to electronic Key boards and synthesizers as well as he. While many jazz pianists looked down their collective noses at synthesizers, he not only embraced them, he took the time to create really fresh and exciting sounds with them. As a composer he was truly ground breaking, I’m listening to In a Silent Way right now and marveling at is beauty and space, and how fresh it still sounds nearly 40 years later.. I feel fortunate to have seen him several times, both with Weather Report and the Zawinul Syndicate.  The Zawinul Syndicate with Scott Henderson was one of the best fusion performances I've ever seen.

Another giant has moved on.

Bill